At Tokyo Game Show this week, Killer Instinct fans will get hands-on for the first time with Season 2’s Maya, the badass monster hunter wielding the ancient daggers “Temperance” and “Vengeance.” Maya is the second character to be revealed for Season 2, with TJ Combo from the original Killer Instinct confirmed at E3 last June. You can check out Maya in action and a tease of the next character in the video above.
First seen back in the day in Killer Instinct 2, Maya’s fast-paced “blade juggling” combat style lets her power up her daggers the more they’re blocked, leading to increasingly devastating attacks and mixups against her opponents. You’ll need to be careful when playing her though — if she loses a blade, her powers are diminished until she can recover it.
Of course, if you don’t just happen to be at TGS in Japan this week, you won’t have to wait long to get your hands on Killer Instinct: Season 2 for Xbox One. The game officially launches on Oct. 15, but Microsoft Studios and Iron Galaxy are giving fans a special way to get in on the action early.
Here’s the rundown: On September 23, the same day that Killer Instinct: Season 1 arrives on retail disc ($19.99/£16.99/€19.99), we’re also opening up pre-purchase of the Killer Instinct: Season 2 Ultra Edition for fans who can’t wait to get their fight on. Pre-purchasing the Season 2 Ultra Edition gets you instant access to TJ Combo, plus the full version of Killer Instinct 2 Classic, 3 weeks before the official launch of Season 2.
Once October 15arrives, Season 2 will officially launch with a completely revamped interface and eight new fighters, starting with TJ Combo and Maya at launch and a character per month after that. As always, the base game is a free download via Xbox Live. Additional Season 2 fighters will roll out on a monthly basis and can be purchased individually for $4.99/£3.99/€4.99.
In the same manner as Season 1, Killer Instinct: Season 2 for Xbox One will feature two value bundles for purchase:
Killer Instinct: Season 2 – Ultra Edition ($39.99/£34.99/€39.99)
- Eight fighters, starting with TJ Combo and Maya on October 15,, with a new fighter arriving each month.
- Alternate costumes and accessory packs for the Season 2 characters, featuring costumes designed by Kevin Bayliss, Art Director for the original Killer Instinct arcade games
- Killer Instinct 2 Classic, a perfect port of the 1996 arcade game with full multiplayer support over Xbox Live and 1000 Gamerscore to earn
- Ultra Edition buyers this season will get early access to characters and customization items before the Combo Breaker Pack or individual purchasers
Killer Instinct: Season 2 – Combo Breaker Pack ($19.99/£16.99/€19.99)
- Eight fighters, starting with TJ Combo and Maya on October 15, with a new fighter arriving each month.
For more info on the game, its characters, regional tournaments, and basically everything Killer Instinct-related, you can always visit the Official Killer Instinct Forums. See you in the arena!