Starting at 6 p.m. PST today, members of the Xbox One Preview Update BETA ring will begin receiving the latest Xbox One system update (1804.180305-1900). Read on to learn more about a new features, fixes and known issues in the latest system update.
Spring is almost here, and for users in the Xbox Insider BETA Ring, your first look at the Spring update for Xbox One arrives today! As always, we’re listening to fan feedback and developing a brand-new set of features to make your Xbox One experience better than ever. Corporate Vice President Mike Ybarra and Partner Group Program Manager Kevin Gammill have already teased some of these new features, but we’ve also snuck in a few surprises for you to enjoy.
Support for 1440p Video Output
Xbox One X and Xbox One S now support output at 1440p resolution for games and media; 1440p resolution, sometimes referred to as “2560×1440” and “QHD,” is a popular choice for PC users. With over a million and a half more pixels than 1080p, this resolution fills the gap between Full HD and 4K displays.
A New Level of Mixer Interactivity
Introducing a new form of Mixer interactivity: Share controller. Soon, Mixer streamers on Xbox One will have the option of sharing their controller with a Mixer viewer who is watching through Mixer.com. Streamers can share their entire controller (except the Xbox button) in the Xbox game they are playing, and a viewer can take control through the on-screen gamepad or by plugging a controller into their PC. Viewer and streamer can work together in the game, or the viewer can cause trouble – resulting in hilarious chaos. It’s your choice!
Share controller isn’t the only new feature for Mixer in this release. Broadcasts no longer stop when you switch games. Your Mixer stream will now pause when you switch games or exit to the dashboard; your viewers will see a pause screen until you jump back into a game, and you’ll see an indicator on your broadcasting overlay to let you know that your stream has been paused automatically. Additionally, you can now start your Mixer broadcasts from anywhere on Xbox One, whether you are on the dashboard, a game’s splash screen or within a game itself.
The Cutting Edge
The Microsoft Edge browser on Xbox One has been updated to a new look that’s modern but still feels familiar. We know how important a good web browsing experience is for you, so we’ve doubled down on making Microsoft Edge easy to navigate with a controller. Improvements to the Favorites and History experience make it simple for you to return to your favorite sites. We’re also very excited to announce that you can now download and upload pictures, music and videos from Microsoft Edge on the console; your downloaded content can then be browsed with the File Explorer app. Other new features to note are tab muting, read aloud and autofill. We’re always looking to improve the browsing experience on Xbox and look forward to your feedback.
More Immersive Audio
If you’re the type of person that loves to rock out to a music playlist while playing your favorite games, we have good news for you! You now have an option to selectively balance game audio against background music within the Guide. Turn down the game volume, crank up the music volume and rock on. But that’s not all. The system sounds on Home and in the Guide have been completely revamped to support spatial audio, so the audio cues from your surround sound system will match the actions you see on-screen.
Powerful Invite Filtering Tools for Club Owners
Club administrators can now filter invitation requests based on various criteria, including reputation, Gamerscore, and recommendations from existing club members. Are you setting up a club for hardcore PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds players? Set a filter to only show invitees with over 200 hours of playtime. Maybe you’re looking for Gamerscore completionists in Forza Motorsport 7? Filter requests to only show invitees with over 900 Gamerscore. These filters will persist until the administrator changes them, so if you set or edit club filters, they’ll still be there the next time you sign-in. Club invitees will also now appear in a vertical list, with details such as their Gamertag, Gamerpic, Gamerscore, a line noting if the new invitees were recommended by an existing club member, and a reputation indicator.
You will soon be able to sort your club feeds to show you “what’s hot” and “top posts.” Use the “what’s hot” filter to see trending content in the club feed that’s popular right now. Filtering by “top posts” will show you the most popular posts of all time in that club.
You will also soon be able to disable comments on your feed posts across clubs, Game Hubs, and Community, so the only person in control of the narrative is you. Finally, we’re cleaning up your feeds by hiding posts for broadcasts once they’ve ended.
Tournaments are now available directly in Game Hubs, so you don’t have to be a member of a club to start or join a tournament.
In the February update, we told you about a few more features that a subset of users may find – we call these “experiments.” We’re adding even more experiments to the Spring update. These features are only enabled for a portion of the Xbox Insider audience to gauge interest and collect feedback. Last month, we previewed a brand-new collection experience for Xbox Game Pass in My Games and Apps. This month, we’re revamping the experience for Xbox Live Gold as well! You’ll now have a dedicated tab to quickly view and access all your redeemed Games with Gold that you can install. Quickly scroll through all your previously redeemed games and install them with just two button presses. All of this, and more, will be rolling out to Xbox Insiders over the coming weeks. Thank you, Xbox Insiders, for all your feedback. Your participation in the Xbox Insider Program helps us make the work-in-progress content and features coming to Xbox even better.
- Fixed several issues to improve the reliability and usability of game installations, updates, and content management.
- Fixed an issue which impacted transferring content between drives.
- Enabling the download 4K updates checkbox will now cause 4K updates to show up in the Updates tab of My games & apps.
- Fixed an issue where installations interrupted due to slow network conditions could fail to automatically resume.
- Fixed an issue where a “You need to free up space” dialog was displaying too often.
- Fixed a bug where all items in the install Queue could show as “Queued” without making progress.
- Fixed an issue which sometimes caused an incorrect Profile color to be used when powering on the console.
- We have resolved issues with RGB colors when displaying in 4K HDR mode when playing a UHD disc.
- When accessing the Language & location page in Settings, it may take a long time for the page to load.
- Pi-hole users may encounter issues signing in, creating, or recovering accounts upon downloading the 1804 update. This is due to a new configuration file which is downloaded from a URL Pi-hole blocks by default.
- Workaround: Add clientconfig.passport.net to the Pi-hole allowed IP address list.
- We are aware that some Spatial Audio users will experience unexpected game volumes and are working on a fix.
- We are aware that the Mono output feature is not working as expected in latest builds. The team has identified a fix and is testing. Please turn off the feature if you are using an audio receiver with less than 7.1 audio channels.
- We have identified an issue with Dolby Atmos for Home Theater and certain AVR models that will result in random sound cut outs. If a sound cut out ever occurs you can change your audio format settings to something else and then back to reset it.
- Some users have reported that HDMI in volume is lower for TV Input and some media apps. We are actively investigating. Workaround : Start Background Music and goto the Audio Settings and set the volume slider to 50% rather than 0% and the volume issue is fixed.
- In the Now TV app some UI elements are disappearing during playback.
- In the Plex App some users are experiencing buffering. We are actively investigating this issue. Workaround – You can back out of the Plex app to home then go back into the Plex app and playback continues.
- The Netflix team are updating the app as it is crashing for some users. Workaround – Please check for an update for the Netflix app.
- Netflix on Monitor only works at 1080p and does not support 1440p – Netflix is aware of the issue. Workaround : If watching Netflix on a Monitor/LCD please set the display output to 1080p.
- We are investigating an issue in which some users are experiencing the console shutdown after you turn it on. Workaround – Simply turn the console back on.
- We are investigating why some users are unable to play 4k content in the Vudu app.
- The virtual keyboard disappears randomly when inputting text.Workaround – Plug in a wired or wireless keyboard
- Some users are discovering that some games are not showing in HDR – Please file feedback when you encounter this to help in the investigation and please provide the make and model of your TV and the firmware version.
Game Install Progress
- We are aware of an issue in which the Game Progress status shows over 300%. Please note that this is a different scenario to the fix in this build referenced above in fixes.
- Some users are discovering that the search function in Spotify is not working. Please file feedback when you encounter this to help in the investigation.
- Some users are experiencing a problem in which the Store App is failing to update. Please file feedback when you encounter this to help in the investigation.
Casting from the Xbox – Apps such as YouTube
- Automatic discovery over WiFi is currently not working correctly. The YouTube app relies on this to make pairing seamless (Link with Wi-Fi). There is a known issue with uPnP and state separation that is being investigated. In the meantime, please use the second pairing method in the YouTube app. Launch the YouTube app then go to Setting à Link TV and Phone à Link with TV Code. Follow the directions on screen.
- We are aware that the Schedule details is missing after you re-select your schedule from Dark or Light in Theme.
Settings – Accessory App
- Some users may experience a problem not being able to assign controller configurations in the Xbox Accessory app.