Last month, we released the latest No Man’s Sky update, Frontiers, and we have loved seeing Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S players and Xbox Game Pass members encounter, take command of, and develop the large alien settlements. The third season, the Cartographers Expedition, followed shortly afterward bringing more unique challenges and rewards as players fought to survive and ultimately leave a hostile planet in an exclusive hi-tech spaceship.
Today, as we approach the Halloween season, we’re releasing our fourth, suitably monstrous, expedition. We’ve called it Emergence.
Across the universe, planets have been blighted by the activity of Titan Worms. These colossal sandworms plough through the desert sands, blacking out the sun as they arc overhead, and defiling the very terrain with their cursed dust.
Travelers on this Expedition will find themselves stranded on planet Wasan, a barren world ravaged by dust storms and infested with Titan Worms. It is up to you to locate the Titan Worm impact sites, destroy the wretched Hungering Tendrils, and collect the Vile Spawn that lingers behind. The vessels of the many mouths must be purged!
As travelers cleanse planets of cursed dust and hunt the titanic sandworms, they will unravel the threads of a dark narrative. Complete the expedition route to reveal the history of a dark cult, and ultimately confront the Atlas with evidence of this indelible stain upon the universe.
This is our first Expedition to feature a narrative, and is also a mini-update, bringing with it a host of enhancements for across the game:
- More Varied Sandworms: The titanic worms throughout the universe have been enhanced with a variety of new biologies and types. These colossal beasts can now be found with a broader selection of more horrifying variants.
- Richer Particle Effects: Particle effects have been improved. Meteors, muzzle flashes, explosions, burrowing fauna dust, billowing smoke and laser impacts have all been revamped and can be seen throughout the game.
- Rideable Sandworms: Players can now tame and grow a tremendous sandworm companion to feed, pet, ride and explore the universe with. These are both terrifying and awesome creatures when fully grown, and incredible to fly.
- Feasting Casque: After discovering the secrets of an ancient Vy’keen cult, explorers can also echo their appearance with this unique, many-toothed grotesque alien.
- Ghastly Trail: The Ghastly Trail customization applies a unique organic effect to the Jetpack’s exhaust nozzles, ejecting gooey fluids and tiny worms during flight.
- Titanic Trophy: This eerie skull, once belonging to a large legless cousin of the titan sandworm, adds a touch of macabre decor to bases.
- Flesh Launcher: Add an organic element to pyrotechnic displays with the Flesh Launcher firework. These unusual fireworks explode in a splatter of slime, plasma and wormlets.
Our tiny team have loved working on Emergence and have really got into the spirit of the season. We hope that our Xbox travelers enjoy it as much as we do.
Our journey continues.
No Man's Sky