Have you always wanted an opportunity to participate in the Xbox Update Preview advanced rings? If so, we have exciting news – we’ll be sending out a new wave of invitations to the Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead rings soon. Read on to find out more information.
How are Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead different from the public rings?
All Xbox Update Preview rings receive pre-release system updates which may include new features and experiences, and the Alpha rings (Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead) receive these pre-release builds prior to any other ring, and often more frequently. Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead users provide critical feedback we know team Xbox can trust.
What’s the difference between the Alpha rings?
- Alpha Skip-Ahead – An invite only ring that receives preview builds of a future Xbox OS release
- “Future” release means these builds may not be released to the public for some time. In other words, this will be a preview of a release after the next public release. As such, Alpha Skip-Ahead may contain different features than other rings
- Alpha – An invite-only ring that receives preview builds of the next upcoming Xbox OS release
I’m already enrolled in Alpha Skip-Ahead or Alpha, what’s the best way to participate?
Make sure you have the Xbox Insider Bundle installed on your console. You can check by:
- Navigate to the Store
- Search for the Xbox Insider Bundle
- Install the Xbox Insider Bundle if it is not already installed
After the Xbox Insider Bundle is installed, file feedback! You can find more information about how to provide high quality feedback here.
How we select users for Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead
While we can’t share the exact recipe we use to select invitees, we can say that broadly, the things that we look for in ideal Alpha invitees are:
- High-quality submitted feedback
- Quest/survey participation
- Participation in playtests
- More than anything, we’re looking for users who are enthusiastic about participating
I received an invitation, what next?
If you receive an invitation, follow these steps to register:
- Launch the Xbox Insider Hub on your Xbox console
- Select Previews
- Select Xbox Update Preview
- Select Manage
- Choose the Alpha or Alpha Skip-Ahead ring, then select Done
- Take the required console update
I’m already enrolled in an Alpha ring, but am no longer interested in participating, what should I do?
If you are enrolled in Alpha or Alpha Skip-Ahead and would prefer to return to a public ring (Beta, Delta, or Omega) or return to public builds, you can follow the instructions above, and simply select a different Preview ring or select “Leave Preview” to return to public builds.
Space is limited, and Alpha and Alpha-Skip Ahead membership is given on a first come basis
Bear in mind that if you receive the invitation to either of the Alpha rings and are interested in participating, it is important to act as soon as conveniently possible. Invitations themselves are not guarantees for participation because spots are limited.