Halo 5: Guardians, the latest addition to Microsoft’s $4.6 billion Halo sci-fi franchise, launched worldwide on Tuesday. Fans tuned in to YouTube Gaming yesterday to take part in Halo 5: Live, a one-of-a-kind live broadcast celebration spanning multiple continents with exclusive gameplay reveals, celebrity appearances, international events and more. The six-hour event drew views worldwide, as fans came together to experience what makes Halo truly special.
“Halo 5: Guardians is the culmination of more than three years of hard work, passion and dedication, and we could not be more excited to celebrate with our fans,” said Bonnie Ross, corporate vice president, head of 343 Industries. “Last night, Halo Nation came together from around the world like never before, and we are thrilled to see fans jumping into the most ambitious game we’ve ever launched.”
The excitement reached a fever pitch last night as #Halo5Live was shared by fans around the world on Twitter, Some of the most-watched moments of the Halo 5: Live broadcast, as well as other key celebrations, included these:
- The world premiere of Halo: The Fall of Reach, a new animated series centered on the dramatic origin story of the SPARTAN program.
- Microsoft store fan destinations in Microsoft on Fifth Ave. and 53rd St. (New York City), Microsoft at Westfield Century City (Los Angeles) and Microsoft at University Village (Seattle), with appearances by 343 Industries, the world’s best Halo cosplayers, some of the biggest celebrity voices behind Halo characters and more.
- London players converging on The Roundhouse event venue for a friendly eSports competition with top YouTubers and celebrities.
- An Xbox roundtable with actor Nathan Fillion, the voice of Spartan Buck, and the creative minds at 343 Industries.
- A fan in Finland setting a new GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title for longest video game marathon on a Halo game.
- Interviews with actors Scott Porter, Jack Falahee and musician Chris Daughtry.
Halo 5: Guardians is available now for $59.99 (ERP) at more than 110 Microsoft stores in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, microsoftstore.com, as well as other major U.S. retailers and via digital download. A sample list of participating retailers can be found at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/halo-5-guardians/buy-now.
To relive the launch day excitement, fans can watch video on demand of Halo 5: Live through YouTube at http://www.xbox.com/Halo5Live. Photos and video from global launch events can be viewed at http://news.xbox.com/en-us/media.