Hello, Xbox fans! The Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial runs from Thursday, January 17 at 10 a.m. through to Thursday, January 24 at 10 a.m. PDT. Xbox Live Gold members can jump in now for free to experience Call of Duty’s fun, fresh take on the battle royale genre.
In Blackout, you’ll never have the same experience twice. Each match is its own unique experience, filled with a multitude of decisions, each of which can impact the outcome of the game. Do you wingsuit into the center of the map, or attempt to play the periphery? Do you play aggressively or a bit more tactically? Should you drop in at Firing Range or Array? Are you willing to risk a zombies encounter or no? This seemingly endless stream of options is just one part of the fun of Blackout.
As soon as your feet hit the ground in your first Blackout match, everybody has the same realization – I need a weapon. Quickly finding your ideal weapon and accompanying loadout is a top priority for everyone. Prepare for fierce engagements when you first drop in as you fight to gear up. These early engagements have the potential to end your match before it even gets started.
This guide aims to arm you with the knowledge to prioritize and scavenge effectively. Blackout barrages you with in-game decisions, but hopefully with these tips you’ll be better equipped (literally) to handle whatever comes your way.
Seek and Ye Shall Find
If you look for gear, often you’ll find it. Searching inside homes, tents, warehouses, trailers, tarps, hedge mazes, on roofs and pretty much any place that isn’t out in the open is a decent spot to find gear. It’s all random, so don’t expect to find the exact same weapon in the exact same spot every match. More buildings mean more places you’re likely to find loot, so be wary of opponents in those areas. Deciding where you drop in has plenty of its own nuances. Just understand that to be competitive, you’ve got to load up.
You’re limited in how much loot you can carry even if you have a backpack, so space is precious. The things you keep and the ones you leave behind are important choices every player must make. Those choices depend on a lot of things, but mostly hinge on how you like to engage your opponents. Managing your engagements is an important skill, but having the right weapons to support your playstyle is even more important.
Want to ambush people from a closet? Shotguns and the Dead Silence Perk are must-haves. Prefer to stalk your enemies from afar and pick them off at a distance? Scoped Rifles and the Skulker Perk are likely your most sought-after items. Want to run-n-gun? SMGs and Mobility are likely your thing. Coordinating with your squad-mates goes a long way towards determining what your roles will be. After you’ve played a few matches, you’ll get an idea of how you want to play during matches. With that in mind, find the loot that works for you and get after it.
Independent of playstyle, there’s some loot that will be helpful for any player. Here are the core four:
- Armor: The higher the level, the better. Attacks can and will come from anywhere and Armor gives you the extra time needed to find cover and return fire. Pro tip: Pick up Armor plates as you loot, too. If you escape from a gunfight with broken Armor, you can repair it with Armor plates stored in your inventory.
- First Aid Kit or Med Kit: Restore health after engagements. If you’re lucky, you’ll find a Trauma Kit which gives max health no matter how hurt you are, plus a 50-health bonus for a total of 200.
- Scopes: You’ll need the range not only to increase weapon accuracy, but to gather intel on distant enemies. Getting a closer look at a situation means you can assess and make smart decisions, giving you a better chance at success.
- Backpack: Double your inventory slots to 10. More gear means more options which you can use to out-flank, out-smart and out-play your opponents.
In Blackout, Perks are consumables, meaning their effects are temporary. When you collect a Perk, it’s added to your inventory and can be activated through the Quick Equip Menu. Different Perks last for different lengths of time, so use them wisely – right before you enter a combat situation. A few examples:
- Engineer – Reveals nearby vehicles and enemy equipment
- Mobility – Move and swap weapons faster, and take no fall damage
- Medic – Heal yourself and your allies faster, those you revive regain more health
- Looter – Reveal nearby Stashes and loot items
- Skulker – Move faster while crouched and prone
- Brawler – Increases your melee damage and gives you 50 health per each successful melee attack
Remember, the best gear doesn’t always win, but it sure as hell helps. Now get out there, gear up and do your best to make it to the final circle!
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout Free Trial is available now. Access the Free Trial from the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 product page on the Microsoft Store. Click the purchase ellipsis “…” next to the “Buy Now” button to view the “Free Trial” option and to initiate the download. Xbox Live Gold is required for the free trial.