Starting today, we’re excited to invite all Xbox Insiders on PC to preview new game installation and management features! You’ll be able to select your game install location, easily access local game files, and mod more games. We’ve also added the ability to update eligible games you’ve already installed to use these new features, as well as move and repair games—all of which you can try by navigating to your installed game library on the left sidebar, right-clicking a game, and selecting the “manage” option.
How to Participate
- Launch the Xbox Insider Hub app on PC.
- Navigate to Previews > Windows Gaming.
- Select Join.
- Wait for the registration to complete and check the Microsoft Store for updates to the Xbox and Gaming Services apps.
- Launch the Xbox app on PC.
- Select your gamerpic at the top, then select Settings.
- Select General, then go to Game install options and select Use advanced installation and management features.
- You may experience issues launching games installed on an external drive.
- You might see an “invalid executable” error when launching some games after initially installing them.
- Workaround: Try restarting your PC to fix this issue.
- Some games show that an update is available but selecting the update button doesn’t do anything.
- Starting a game update may take a long time. This includes updates that add content to an existing install, such as a campaign mode.
- You may experience issues changing the game install folder from Xbox app.
- Attempting to encrypt the game install folder from the Windows Shell may cause compatibility issues.
- Drives aren’t recognized in the Xbox app after deleting the game install folder.
- Mods for a version of a game on another platform may not work on the Xbox PC Game Pass version.
- The following games aren’t yet supported:
- Back 4 Blood
- Slay the Spire
- Games offering pre-install
- Note that game files for these games won’t appear in the game install folder. The Xbox app doesn’t currently indicate this but will in a future update. If games outside of this list don’t appear in the game install folder, they are likely also pending support.
How to Provide Feedback
- Take part in the Advanced Install Features Quest. You can find this in the Activities tab from the Xbox Insider Hub on PC
You can find more information on known issues and troubleshooting steps, as well as interact with the community, on the Xbox Insiders Subreddit.
Thank you to everyone who participates in the Xbox Insider Program! Your feedback helps us continue to build a great gaming experience in the Xbox app on PC.