Local Legend 6, the Junkers F 13, Available Today in Microsoft Flight Simulator
Experience the world’s first all-metal transport plane today!
To celebrate its first-ever City Update (select German cities), Microsoft Flight Simulator has released the Junkers F 13, the next aircraft in its “Local Legend” Series. The F 13 is a single-engine, low-wing monoplane by German aircraft manufacturer Junkers and took its first flight on June 25, 1919. The F 13 was one of early aviation’s most innovative aircraft as the world’s first all-metal civilian transport plane, using Duralumin (an aluminum alloy), and boasted cutting-edge engineering implementations, notably in its wing design. Crewed by two, with seating in its cabin for four, more than 300 F 13s were manufactured during the 13-year production run. The well-built, reliable, and stable aircraft flew throughout the world, and a few even into the early 1950s.
The F 13 features a cantilever main wing, requiring no external bracing, which was unique at the time for an aircraft of its size. The wing has a straight leading edge and a span of 48 feet, 7 inches. The aircraft has a traditional empennage and a standard undercarriage that is easily convertible to floats.
Over the course of its production run, Junkers used a variety of in-line and radial engines to power the F 13. These included the 6-cylinder, in-line 158-horsepower Mercedes D.IIIa, the 6-cylinder, in-line 306-horsepower Junkers, and the 6-cylinder, in-line 355-horsepower BMW Va. This model uses a supercharged 9-cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-14B Wasp Junior radial piston engine that delivers 450 horsepower to a fixed-pitch, 2-blade propeller.
The Junkers F 13 boasts a range of 870 miles, climbs at 470 feet per minute, and has a service ceiling of 16,700 feet above sea level. It cruises at 100 miles per hour with a top speed of 106 mph.
Futuristic for its day with its angular, simple design, the Junkers F 13 has proven to be an enduring masterpiece of aerospace engineering. The simulator version combines the pleasurable performance of this vintage classic from 1919 with the safety characteristics of a modern aircraft. Aviators will cherish their time in the cockpit of the F 13, which performs as beautifully as it looks, from takeoff to landing.
The Junkers F 13 is available in four variants: vintage with standard terrestrial landing gear (wheels), vintage with floats, vintage with skis, and a replica variation. Liveries include vintage, Xbox, and Aviator’s Club. Try it out today in the Microsoft Flight Simulator in-sim marketplace for $14.99. And, keep watching for more “Local Legend” aircraft coming soon. The sky is calling!
Microsoft Flight Simulator is now available for Xbox Series X|S and PC with Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Windows, and Steam, and on Xbox One and supported mobile phones, tablets, and lower-spec PCs via Xbox Cloud Gaming. For the latest information on Microsoft Flight Simulator, stay tuned to @MSFSOfficial on Twitter.
Microsoft Flight Simulator: Standard Game of the Year Edition
The Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year (GOTY) Standard Edition celebrates all the positive feedback, reviews and awards garnered, but it is also a “Thank You” to our fans – new and old – that have made Microsoft Flight Simulator such a phenomenon. The Microsoft Flight Simulator Standard Game of the Year Edition includes 25 highly detailed planes with unique flight models and 38 hand-crafted airports.
This enhanced edition introduces simmers to five all-new aircraft, eight new handcrafted airports, six new Discovery Flights, new tutorials, and updates to the weather system
The five new handcrafted aircraft in Microsoft Flight Simulator include:
• Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet: Our first military jet and a highly requested feature from the community. The Top Gun: Maverick expansion will release with the movie next Spring, but we wanted simmers to have the opportunity to test their need for speed this holiday.
• VoloCity: We partnered with well-known German company Volocopter, which is working on an eVTOL called “VoloCity”, a vision for an urban air taxi. We worked closely with the Volocopter engineering team to develop an authentic version of the prototype aircraft for the simulator. This is our first aircraft that can perform pinpoint landings and is a teaser of what you can look forward to in 2022 when we intend to launch helicopters in the sim.
• Pilatus PC-6 Porter: This legendary short takeoff and landing (STOL) utility aircraft is a highly versatile plane from Switzerland and comes with several cockpits, cabins, and landing gear variations. It is the result of our close collaboration with the manufacturer and the development efforts by famed developers Hans Hartmann and Alexander Metzger resulted in a great and fun new aircraft with exception capabilities in the simulator.
• CubCrafters NX Cub: Yakima-based CubCrafters recently introduced a nosewheel option for their flagship CC-19 XCub Aircraft, popularly called the NX Cub, which we are pleased to introduce to the flight sim audience to further enhance our bush flying and off airport options.
• Aviat Pitts Special S1S: One of our most popular planes gets a single-seat option with the release of this aircraft.
New Airports – We are adding eight handcrafted airports in Central Europe and the United States:
o Leipzig/Halle Airport (EDDP)
o Allgäu Airport Memmingen (EDJA)
o Kassel Airport (EDVK)
o Lugano Airport (LSZA)
o Zurich Airport (LSZH)
o Luzern-Beromunster Airport (LSZO)
o Patrick Space Force Base (KCOF)
o Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (KNKX)
The Game of the Year release is adding information about 545 previously missing airports in the United States.
New Missions -Based on the popularity of the recently introduced Discovery Flights, we are adding an additional six locations (Helsinki, Freiburg im Breisgau, Mecca, Monument Valley, Singapore, and Mount Cook) to this popular series.
New Tutorials – To further expand the onboarding experience, we are adding 14 new tutorials, introducing simmers to Bush flying (in an Icon A5) and IFR (in a Cessna 172).
New Features – We are also pleased to introduce several highly requested features by the community: an updated weather system, early access to DX12, and a dev mode replay system.
New Photogrammetry Cities – As part of our ongoing collaboration with Bing Maps, we are pleased to add a number of new photogrammetry cities: Helsinki (Finland), Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany), Brighton, Derby, Eastbourne, Newcastle, and Nottingham (UK) and Utrecht (Netherlands).
Microsoft Flight Simulator Standard Game of the Year Edition will be available as a free update for owners on PC and Xbox Series X|S. For new users, the GOTY Standard Edition is the perfect entry point to flight simming as it offers an even richer experience, and it will be the item they purchase as we are retiring the original. Invite your friends to experience the wonders of flight. The sky is calling!