Hey Xbox Insiders! We have a new Xbox App for PC update that will have the advanced installation and management features enabled by default. These features, that are only available in preview, will allow you to select your game install location, easily access local game files, and mod more games. We’ve also added the ability to update eligible games you’ve already installed to use these new features, as well as move and repair games—all of which you can try by navigating to your installed game library on the left sidebar, right-clicking a game, and selecting the “manage” option.
We will continue to post these release notes, even when the noticeable changes are minimal, so you’re aware when updates are coming to the app. Details can be found below!
App Update Details:
- Xbox App version released: 2201.1000.38.0
- Gaming Services version released: 3.61.12007.0
- Available: 9 a.m. PT – January 19, 2022
Thanks to the hard work of Xbox engineers, we are happy to announce the following fixes have been implemented for this app update:
- Fixed compatibility issues with Gears 5 and Slay the Spire.
- Fixed an issue where enabling advanced installation features for a game causes an access denied error.
- Addressed various accessibility issues.
- Fixed an issue that prevents the game folder from being changed.
- Deleting the game folder no longer causes an issue where drives aren’t recognized in the Xbox app.
- Fixed an issue that caused game updates to reinstall the full game.
We understand some issues have been listed in previous Xbox Insider Release Notes. These items aren’t being ignored, but it will take Xbox engineers more time to find a solution.
We’re still tracking these known issues:
- Moving a game from one drive to another shows “downloading” in the install queue, but the game is actually being moved, not reinstalled.
- You may experience issues launching games installed on an external drive.
- You might see an “invalid executable” error when launching some games after initially installing them. Try restarting your PC to fix this issue.
- Some games show that an update is available but selecting the update button doesn’t do anything.
- Starting a game update may take a long time. This includes updates that add content to an existing install, such as a campaign mode.
- Attempting to encrypt the game install folder from the Windows Shell may cause compatibility issues.
- Mods for a version of a game on another platform may not work on the Xbox PC Game Pass version.
- The following games aren’t yet supported:
- Back 4 Blood
- Cricket 19
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- State of Decay 2
- Games offering pre-install
- Note that game files for these games won’t appear in the game install folder. The Xbox app doesn’t currently indicate this but will in a future update. If games outside of this list don’t appear in the game install folder, they are likely also pending support.
- Take part in the Advanced Install Features Quest. You can find this in the Activities tab from the Xbox Insider Hub on PC
- You can also submit a bug by clicking on the feedback button from the profile pic menu.
How to Get Xbox Insider Support
You can find more information on known issues and troubleshooting steps, as well as interact with the community, on the Xbox Insiders Subreddit.
When posting to the subreddit, please look through most recent posts to see if your issue has already been posted or addressed. We always recommend adding to threads with the same issue before posting a brand new one. This helps us support you the best we can!
For more information regarding the Xbox Insider Program follow us on Twitter. Keep an eye on future Xbox Insider Release Notes for more information!
Thank you to everyone who participates in the Xbox Insider Program! Your feedback helps us continue to build a great gaming experience in the Xbox app on PC.