We’re excited to invite all Xbox Insiders to playtest the new Minecraft Preview on Xbox! The Minecraft Preview is an evolution of the Bedrock Beta program. While our Betas are currently limited to Xbox, Windows, and Android, Minecraft Preview will let us expand to additional platforms. Minecraft Preview is also a separate app/game that you can play without impacting your standard Bedrock experience. The initial goal of this preview is to test the migration of player worlds from the retail version of Minecraft to the new Minecraft Preview product. This testing effort will occur in two phases.
- In Phase 1, players will import their worlds from the retail version of Minecraft to a Minecraft Preview placeholder product.
- In Phase 2, we’ll migrate the copied worlds to the brand new Minecraft Preview product which will later replace the Bedrock Beta.
In both phases we’ll be seeking feedback on the process and ask that you report any issues you encounter. The main reason for this two-phase approach is to ensure the migration preserves your existing Minecraft worlds.
You can learn more about the Minecraft Preview here: https://aka.ms/PreviewFAQ
- Your retail Minecraft worlds will not be affected by participating
- You do not need to own Minecraft to participate in the Minecraft Preview
- The Minecraft Preview is only available on Xbox console at this time
Minecraft Preview Phase 1 (Available Now!)
To kick off Phase 1, after joining the Minecraft Preview (see How to Participate below), please complete the Quest titled “Import Minecraft Worlds” in the Xbox Insider Hub app.
If you haven’t played the retail version of Minecraft or don’t have worlds to copy over, if possible, we encourage you to create a new world. You can also create new worlds within the Minecraft Preview product to help with Phase 2.
Minecraft Preview Phase 2 (Coming Soon!)
Once enough participants have completed Phase 1, we’ll begin inviting players in small groups to participate in Phase 2.
Here are a few things to know about Phase 2
- Participants will be selected at random (in small groups) and invited to join Phase 2
- The rollout will be gradual, allowing us to gather feedback and data for each new group of participants
- Once we’ve collected enough data, all players will be invited to participate in Phase 2
When invited to participate in Phase 2, you’ll see a new Announcement titled “Minecraft Preview Phase 2” in the Xbox Insider Hub app. In addition, you’ll receive an Xbox Insider notification to complete a new Survey for Phase 2.
How to Participate
- On your Xbox console, sign-in and launch the Xbox Insider Hub app (or install the Xbox Insider Hub app from the Store first if needed)
- Navigate to Previews > Minecraft Preview
- Select Join
- Wait for the registration to complete to be directed to the Store and install the Minecraft Preview
- Complete the Quest titled “Import Minecraft Worlds” in the Xbox Insider Hub app (look for this under Activities)
- You will not have access to Realms and will not be able to join non-Preview player’s games
- Most settings (including Family Settings) will not be preserved from the retail version of Minecraft
- Any worlds played in Preview will not transfer to the retail version of Minecraft
- You can import your retail worlds into the Minecraft Preview using the “Sync Old Worlds” button
- Any content you own in the Minecraft Marketplace will work in Preview
- Any content you buy in the Marketplace while in Preview will use your existing Minecoin balance and will transfer to the retail version of Minecraft
- No current support for keyboard and mouse input
- Preview builds may be unstable and do not represent final version quality
How to Provide Feedback:
If you encounter any issues while playing the Minecraft Preview, don’t forget to use “Report a problem” so we can investigate:
- Hold down the Xbox button on your Xbox controller
- Select Report a problem
- Select the Games category and the Minecraft Preview subcategory
- Fill out the form with the appropriate details to help our investigation