Hey Xbox Insiders! We have a new Xbox Update Preview coming to the Omega ring. It’s important we note that some updates made in these preview OS builds include background improvements that ensure a quality and stable build for Xbox consoles.
We continue to post these release notes, even when the noticeable changes to the UI are minimal, so you’re aware when updates are coming to your device. Details can be found below!
System Update Details:
- OS version released: XB_FLT_2308ZN\25398.1679.230731-2200
- Available: 2 p.m. PT – August 3, 2023
- Mandatory: 2 p.m. PT – August 4, 2023
Note: This update may not occur automatically before it has already become mandatory. You can always find the most current update as soon as it is available by navigating to Settings > System > Updates.
New Features and Experiences
We have exciting news! Omega users can expect something new coming to their Xbox Update Preview.
Keyboard Button Mapping for Xbox Controllers
For the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and the Xbox Adaptive Controller, the Xbox Accessories app now supports mapping keyboard keys to your controller!
To get started, open the Xbox Accessories app > Configure > create a new profile or edit an existing one > select a button to map > choose Primary or Shift > then move over to the new Key tab.
You can also find this feature in the Xbox Accessories app on your Windows PC by joining the Windows Gaming preview from the Xbox Insider Hub. Learn more about joining the Windows Gaming preview in the Xbox Insider Program FAQ.
For more details, visit: Keyboard Button Mapping for Xbox Controllers
- You may only map a given controller button to a single key, along with any combination of modifier keys (Win, Shift, Ctrl, Alt). For example, you could map Ctrl+Alt+W, but not Ctrl+Alt+W+E.
- Keyboard input support is game dependent, so you may notice some games will offer full support, partial support, or no support.
- Using or mapping keyboard keys via Bluetooth on PC is not supported. Learn more about the Xbox Accessories app and Bluetooth connections here.
My Games & Apps (Xbox Series X|S consoles)
We have made optimizations to content installation and updating to enable faster download speeds while games are running.
Notifications – Store
Users will find two new notification types have been added to the notification preferences for “Wish list items are in Game Pass” and “Wish list items are released”. You can adjust if and how you will see these notifications by navigating to Settings > Preferences > Notifications > Xbox notifications > Store.
Thanks to the hard work of Xbox engineers, we are happy to announce the following fixes have been implemented for this build:
- Fixes to address an issue where some apps would fail to launch unexpectedly.
- Fixes to address an issue where audio settings could change unexpectedly resulting in no audio being heard.
- Fixed an issue that may have introduced audio latency in Party Chat in some scenarios.
- Various updates to properly reflect local languages across the console.
- Note: Users participating in Preview may see “odd” text across the console, for more information go here.
We understand some issues have been listed in previous Xbox Insider Release Notes. These items aren’t being ignored, but it will take Xbox engineers more time to find a solution.
- We have received reports of users experiencing intermittent issues with audio across the dashboard, games, and apps.
- Note: If you experience issues with audio, please submit feedback via Report a Problem immediately with the “Reproduce with advanced diagnostics” option, then select the category “Console experiences” and “Console Audio Output Issues”.
- Be sure to include as much information as possible:
- When did the issue start?
- Did you lose audio just in the game/app or system audio as well?
- Does changing the audio format resolve the issue? If yes, what was the format before and after?
- Does rebooting resolve the issue?
- What does your setup include? Equipment, layout, etc.
- And any additional information you can provide to reproduce the problem.
- We are investigating reports of Guide becoming unresponsive for some users.
- Note: If you experience this, be sure to file feedback with Report a Problem as soon as possible. Please include as much information as you can about what steps you took to reproduce the issue.
Keyboard Button Mapping for Xbox Controllers
- In the Xbox Accessories app, the “Learn More” button is currently not functional.
- If you change your keyboard language settings while the Xbox Accessories app is open, the change will be reflected after quitting the app or rebooting your console.
My Games & Apps
- Titles in collection may incorrectly appear with a “trial” tag.
Make sure to use Report a problem to keep us informed of your issue. We may not be able to respond to everyone, but the data we’ll gather is crucial to finding a resolution.
How to Get Xbox Insider Support
If you’re an Xbox Insider looking for support, please reach out to the community subreddit. Official Xbox staff, moderators, and fellow Xbox Insiders are there to help with your concerns.
When posting to the subreddit, please look through most recent posts to see if your issue has already been posted or addressed. We always recommend adding to threads with the same issue before posting a brand new one. This helps us support you the best we can! Don’t forget to use “Report a problem” before posting—the information shared in both places helps us understand your issue better.
Thank you to every Xbox Insider in the subreddit today. We love that it has become such a friendly and community-driven hub of conversation and support.
For more information regarding the Xbox Insider Program follow us on Twitter. Keep an eye on future Xbox Insider Release Notes for more information regarding your Xbox Update Preview ring!